A few weeks ago I was really excited to find out that I had been selected by Marte at Compagnie M to carry out a pattern test for her new Mara Blouse, a soon to be released pattern which will be available for download on her website.
Marte is a sewer, blogger and pattern drafter based in Belgium who has been releasing free patterns for funky children’s clothes for a while now. Recently she’s decided to branch out and plans to offer some for paid download too. One of the first of these to be available will be the charming Mara Blouse.
I was excited to be a pattern tester, but nervous too – what if it all went wrong? What if the pattern was too advanced for me? Could I get it all done in the time? But I desperately wanted to do it so as soon as the link to the downloadable pdf was sent over I printed out the pattern and stuck it all together.
The cutting lines are well spaced and colour coded which makes it really simple to cut out.
One thing I love about kids clothes is that you can often use up remnants in your fabric stash. I used some linen left over from my Mathilde blouse and some Amy Butler scraps left over from some placemats I made my mum about 5 years ago. I love the look of using the fabric for the yoke as the back bodice fabric too.
This is the first time I’ve used piping on a garment and it was a little fiddly – but I was in at the deep end trying to put it around a curved yoke. It was worth the effort though, it really sets off the contrasting fabrics well.
I didn’t have enough fabric to match the pattern on the little butterfly sleeves but they still look cute! I also realised I had sewn the pink linen wrong side up so my pintucks turned out like pleats, but I think it looks nice like this anyway and after the struggle to fit the yoke I was NOT unpicking it!
It’s a great fit and I made no adjustments, S is small for her age and I used age 3 size.