Chambray seems to be making a regular appearance at the moment! I actually made this skirt last summer, but what with the state of the weather in Norway I don’t get to wear it that often. However, the sun made … Continue reading
Like the rest of the sewing world, I’ve become totally hooked on Colette patterns! So imagine my delight when these goodies dropped into my mailbox recently…
Yey! Colette Sewing Handbook and the Beignet pattern! So exciting! I’ve been working my way through the book, which I must say I love everything about, and decided to put to good use the aubergine needlecord I bought from a Norwegian online shop for my first Beignet. I found plenty of inspiration online – from Kestral, Karen, Tilly and Joanne. Loving all these cord versions! After working out how to use my buttonhole foot (lost my sewing machine instructions in the move to Norway!) I was ready to start…
And here it is! I’m super happy with how it turned out. Next time I’ll make it the size smaller as it’s definitely a bit roomy, but I don’t mind with this one as it’s a winter skirt. Perfect for sneaking in those extra mince pies 😉
I’ve been sewing along with Anna of A Few Threads Loose – and the results are coming along nicely! I started a bit late due to printer problems, but other than that minor technical hitch it’s gone great so far. I would probably never have chosen to make this pattern without the push to follow Anna’s instruction. But I’m glad I did! The pattern is a PDF printable of an original 1940s one by Pauline Patterns in Australia. I chose a purple and grey soft thin cotton with a grey and black polka dot for the band and bias.Here’s a sneaky peek…just got the straps and closure to go then I’ll be on to the bottoms. Yey!
This was only the second attempt at making my own bias binding, I’ve generally stuck to shop bought stuff since the first attempt a few years ago ended in tears. But I followed Miss P’s handy tutorial using masking tape and it was totally problem free! Thank you Miss P 🙂
Watch this space for the finished bra…
So after a few bags, purses and general small things, I recently got into sewing actual items of clothing for myself. This year I had 3 weddings to go to (2 in Worcestershire, 1 in St Tropez daahling!) and was determined to make myself a dress that would work for all 3. As it was, I hadn’t finished in time for the first one…but the last stitches were complete right in time for my trip to the sunny South of France, hurrah!
Since making this dress (completed it in June), I’ve learnt a few more things about sewing so there are a lot of things I’d do differently next time. But as these are all on the inside, it was still amazing to wear something which I made (and really like!). I used a Cynthia Rowley Simplicity pattern, 2406. The instructions were great, but I ran into a problem with the material I chose. It’s a really sweet Liberty print, with little coral and blue birds lined up in stripes. But it’s a cotton lawn so very thin, and as it’s cream it’s very sheer! The pattern doesn’t call for lining and so I sort of winged it, trying to underline beneath the facings without knowing what I was doing! It was totally fine except for the centre back join which went a bit odd, but oh well – I’ll learn for next time!
Also, next time I would lower the neckline a little bit, as I don’t think it’s that flattering, and also make a much smaller size as I took out literally 2 inches from each side seam and I still think it’s a bit big. The armholes are a bit low too – you can kind of see my bra peeking out. But other than that, I really like the shape, it’s very versatile and forgiving as it’s not fitted, and I hope to make it again. Next time I’ll choose a thicker material and skip the lining to save myself a headache I think.