Mara Blouse Pattern Giveaway

I’m really excited to announce that our blog is doing its first ever giveaway!

A few blog posts ago I reviewed a pattern from Compagnie M called the Mara Blouse – a cute, vintage-inspired little girl’s blouse – remember?

hanging cu

Well after toiling for weeks over final tweaks and exciting additions to the pattern Marte from Compagnie M is now ready to launch her first ever commercially available pattern! To celebrate the momentous occasion we are taking part in the ‘launch tour’ and giving readers a chance to win a free copy of the digital pattern. On top of this all entrants will also be eligible for 10% off the 7 euro purchase price  – after the pattern is launched on 1st October (assuming you are not the lucky winner).

I loved making the blouse and a thinking of whipping up a long-sleeved dress version for S to wear to an upcoming wedding.

The prize up for grabs is the full Mara Blouse download which includes…

  • The pattern includes:
  •  Sizes: 1y, 18 months, 2y, 3y, 4y, 5y, 6y, 7y, 8y, 9y, 10y.
  • Three sleeve patterns are included: butterfly, flutter or long sleeves. The flutter sleeve & long sleeve can also be combined. Sleeveless is of course also an option.
  • Two tutorials to easily adjust the blouse to a basic A-line dress or a gathered skirt dress. Detailed drawings will guide you through this process.
  • The 46 page PDF file includes:
  • Instructions (22 pages).
  • A pattern WITH seam allowance included (12 pages)
  • A pattern WITHOUT seam allowance included (12 pages) (This way you can choose the version you prefer to work with).

Click the link below to enter the comp!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Competition closes 11pm 27th September 2013

There are a host of other blogs on the ‘Giveaway Tour’…So why not check them out too…

Good Luck!

Mara blouse give away tour


Pattern drafting – girl’s apron dress!

I did it! I made my own pattern – okay so it’s very simple and there’s plenty of room for improvement but I’m really pleased with it.

I started off by taking my daughter’s measurements and also measuring some of the clothes she is wearing at the moment. Then I made some sketches and started drafting the pattern pieces. I thought it best to keep things simple to start off with.pattern


I wanted to make a pinafore with a cross over back like one of her dollies has. I thought it would be great to have big deep pockets to put all her bits and bobs in.


In the first draft I made I used her exact measurements…I quartered her chest measurement, added seam allowance and used it to draft a front and back piece to be cut on the fold. I forgot to add ‘wiggle room’ and the thing fitted like a sausage skin and she couldn’t sit down!! So I had to let the seams out a lot which has made the inside a bit dodgy in places.

I love the toadstool button on the front pocket and the vintage buttons I used on the straps.

split pic of serensplit pic 2

I should have stay stitched the shaping on the back yoke and skirt because the fabric on the back skirt piece stretched when I was putting it together – I ended up putting in a little pleat  in the back – I actually really like this feature and will put a proper pleat in if I do it again. I also think I could have gone with more of an a-line on the skirt, it looks a little boxy in the pictures and a little too long.

It was really satisfying to design and make something from scratch…the downside is Seren really doesn’t want to wear it and much bribery was involved in the taking of these pictures! Maybe next time I’ll try and draft something for myself – if anyone has recommendations for some pattern drafting books, let me know…