Pattern drafting – girl’s apron dress!

I did it! I made my own pattern – okay so it’s very simple and there’s plenty of room for improvement but I’m really pleased with it.

I started off by taking my daughter’s measurements and also measuring some of the clothes she is wearing at the moment. Then I made some sketches and started drafting the pattern pieces. I thought it best to keep things simple to start off with.pattern

draftingcutting

I wanted to make a pinafore with a cross over back like one of her dollies has. I thought it would be great to have big deep pockets to put all her bits and bobs in.

sewing

In the first draft I made I used her exact measurements…I quartered her chest measurement, added seam allowance and used it to draft a front and back piece to be cut on the fold. I forgot to add ‘wiggle room’ and the thing fitted like a sausage skin and she couldn’t sit down!! So I had to let the seams out a lot which has made the inside a bit dodgy in places.

I love the toadstool button on the front pocket and the vintage buttons I used on the straps.

split pic of serensplit pic 2

I should have stay stitched the shaping on the back yoke and skirt because the fabric on the back skirt piece stretched when I was putting it together – I ended up putting in a little pleat  in the back – I actually really like this feature and will put a proper pleat in if I do it again. I also think I could have gone with more of an a-line on the skirt, it looks a little boxy in the pictures and a little too long.

It was really satisfying to design and make something from scratch…the downside is Seren really doesn’t want to wear it and much bribery was involved in the taking of these pictures! Maybe next time I’ll try and draft something for myself – if anyone has recommendations for some pattern drafting books, let me know…